As NHC members will be missing out in 2020 on the annual showcase that is the National Hereford Show at Tenbury Wells, previously scheduled to have been held on Saturday 1st August but unfortunately cancelled this year due to Covid-19, the National Hereford Club are delighted to announce that they will be holding a virtual competition.
Classes are open to any member of the NHC (new members are welcome - click here to join) to exhibit cattle registered with the Hereford Cattle Society under the horned section of the Herd Book, and will be judged by Robert Clarke of the Shadwell Estate (England), Brent & Anna Fisher of the Silverstream Hereford Stud (New Zealand) and Gary McKiernan of Corlismore Herefords (Republic of Ireland). Class results will be announced on 'show day', Saturday 1st August.
Class winners will then be put forward for judging once more for the Female and Male Championships, kindly sponsored by Moocall and Manor Farm Feeds. The public will be able to have their say by voting for their favourite, with the public vote contributing 25% and the three judges' placings each adding 25% to the final result, announced on Saturday 8th August.
Full rules and classes for the competition are listed below, please read these carefully and we look forward to seeing your fantastic cattle on display at home!
PLEASE READ THE RULES BELOW CAREFULLY TO ENSURE YOUR PHOTOS MEET THE COMPETITION REQUIREMENTS
1. Entries open on Friday 19th June and close on Monday 20th July at 19:00, no late entries will be accepted.
2. To enter, email Sarah Cowle at email@example.com (state in the subject bar: NHC VS – Class #) attaching your animal’s photos and giving the ear tag number and exhibitor name. Please send one email for each entry. An email acknowledgement will be sent to confirm receipt of each entry; it will be the entrant's responsibility to make sure that all details have been received and are correct.
3. Each animal must be registered with the Hereford Cattle Society under the horned section of the Herd Book.
4.There are no entry fees but exhibits must be the property of a paid-up member of the National Hereford Club residing in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland at the time of entry. New members are welcome, click here for details of how to join.
5. Up to two entries per exhibitor, per class will be accepted, with a maximum total of up to 12 entries per exhibitor.
6. Three photographs must be submitted for each entry; one side view, one front view and one rear view (each photo must include the animal from top to toe). For classes 1 and 2, three photos of the calf, if applicable, should also be submitted.
7. In order for the judges to make a fair assessment, any photographs submitted must have been taken on or after 19th June 2020 and should NOT have been previously released on websites or social media, nor may they be released until after the 1st August 2020. By submitting your photographs you are giving the National Hereford Club permission to use them for publicity purposes.
8. Cattle may be washed, clipped & “dressed” if competitors wish, but this is not compulsory. No persons or other identifiers (e.g. banners or farm names) should appear in the photo. Animals must NOT be photographed on a halter.
9. Photos must NOT be taken by a professional photographer (unless the photographer is the owner of the animal) and must NOT be tampered with (Photoshop or similar), other than cropping to fulfil rule 8.
10. Class results will be announced on Saturday 1st August on the Club’s website and Facebook page.
11. First placed animals in each class will go forward to a Female and Male Championship. The Championships will be judged by the three class judges (25% each) and a public vote (25%). The public vote will be opened on Sunday 2nd August and will close at 19:00pm on Friday 7th August. Details of how to vote will be published on the Club's website and Facebook page.
12.The Female and Male Champions will be announced on Saturday 8th August on the Club’s website and Facebook page.
CLASS 1: Cow, in calf or with her own calf at foot, born on or before 31st August 2017
CLASS 2: Heifer, in calf or with her own calf at foot, born on or between 1st September 2017 and 31st August 2018
CLASS 3: Heifer, born on or between 1st September 2018 and 31st December 2018
CLASS 4: Heifer, born on or between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019
CLASS 5: Heifer calf, born on or after 1st September 2019
FEMALE CHAMPION: Winner to receive a MooCall Calving Sensor
CLASS 6: Bull, born on or before 31st December 2016
CLASS 7: Bull, born on or between 1st January 2017 and 31st August 2018
CLASS 8: Bull, born on or between 1st September 2018 and 31st December 2018
CLASS 9: Bull, born on or between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019
CLASS 10: Bull calf, born on or after 1st September 2019
MALE CHAMPION: Winner to receive a £150 feed voucher from Manor Farm Feeds
THIS COMPETITION HAS KINDLY BEEN SPONSORED BY: